About the job
The Department of Psychology currently has approximately 1300 students and more than 140 employees. The Department holds a large and diverse research community covering a variety of disciplines within psychology. We offer a study program in clinical psychology in addition to studies at bachelors-, masters- and PhD level. The Department has three outpatient clinics that offer outpatient treatment as part of the educational program in clinical psychology. The Department participates in extensive local, national and international research collaborations.
As an associate professor at the Department of Psychology, you will be part of an active research environment with the goal of further developing the field of study. You have good collaboration skills and aim to create a good performance environment within the field of study. You are involved in lesson planning and ensure that quality is upheld when teaching bachelor’s and master’s degree courses, and the clinical program in psychology. At the same time, you are available for the students and provide academic guidance throughout the study programs. It is expected that you participate in the administrative tasks related to program coordination, courses, examination work, meetings and committee work.
You will report to the Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Initiate and strengthen research and research dissemination within experimental psychology
- The announced position will have a special role in assisting the users of the department’s Fleksilab with research design, use of the psychophysiological equipment, and relevant data analysis. The Fleksilab is a general-purpose laboratory, well equipped with psychophysiological apparatus. The Fleksilab is intended for use by all scientific employees at the Department.
- Give academic guidance to students pursuing a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD within experimental psychology, that are using the Fleksilab facilities and equipment
- Participate in the planning and execution of educational activities according to the applicable program description, and in work related to evaluation and further development of the field of study, educational activities and relevant study program, including continuing and further education
- Teach within the relevant subject area at all levels from bachelor to PhD
- Contribute to the development and tuition of continuing and further education
- It is expected that you take on an elected or honorary appointment for a period
- Examination work
- Administrative duties, including being a member of the Board of the Fleksilab
Associate Professor: You must qualify for a position as an associate professor in the field of psychology in accordance with the requirements set out in regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts
- Scientific qualifications at PhD level within the field of experimental psychology. PhD students can apply under the condition that PhD thesis are submitted by the application deadline for the position and it is a requirement for employment that the PhD degree is awarded
- Experience from teaching and supervision at university level
- Publication of research results in renowned international journals will be emphasized. Emphasis is primarily placed on scientific work during the last five years, with any statutory leave of absence deducted. Emphasis will also be placed on the ability to initiate and lead research and development work and collaborate with
- Very good oral and written presentation skills in English
- Expertise and documented research experience with psychophysiological research methods, such as electrocardiography, electroencephalography and electrodermal activity
- Experience with experimental design in the context of psychophysiological research, including programming skills, as well as relevant data analysis skills and experience
You must document relevant basic competence in teaching and supervision at a university and college level, cf. regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research positions. If you are unable to document this, you will be required to complete an approved course in university pedagogy within two years of employment. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
If you do not maste a Scandinavian language, it is a prerequisite that you can within three years demonstrate knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language in line with step three in the course Norwegian for foreigners at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
- Applicants with diverse programming skills will be preferred, including eg, Python, Matlab, E-prime or other relevant programming languages
- Teaching experience in experimental psychology is an advantage
- Applicants with expertise and practical experience with a wide range of psychophysiological methods will be preferred
- Dedication to research work
- Coorperation skills
- Dissemination abilities and good communication skills
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary research teams
- Flexibility and desire to contribute to a good working environment
Salary and conditions
Associate professors are placed in code 1011, and are normally remunerated from 626 100 NOK per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present, at and accessible to, the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and the description of the scientific work that is to be used as a basis for the assessment must be available in English.
We point out that the application is only assessed based on the information available at the application deadline. Therefore, make sure that your application clearly shows how your skills and experiences meet the criteria described above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
- The application must contain:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- List of publications
- A description of the scientific works that you consider most significant, and which you would have specifically based on the assessment (up to five works)
- Research plan (up to 5 pages)
- Information about any projects you have been a project manager for with information about financing, duration and size
- Pedagogical folder, where your educational competence is presented systematically and collectively, cf Documentation of pedagogical qualifications when applying for and employment in a scientific position
- Names and contact details to three relevant references
Joint work will be taken into account. If in joint work it is difficult to identify your efforts, you must enclose a short account of your participation. NTNU undertakes to follow evaluation criteria for research quality in accordance with The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we place special emphasis on the quality and professional breadth of your scientific work documenting. We also take into account research management and participation in research projects. We place the greatest emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years when assessing the quality of research. When assessing the best qualified, we place emphasis on personal suitability, your motivation for the position and your pedagogical abilities and qualifications. Our assessment will be based on documented pedagogical material, forms of presentation in the scientific work, experience from teaching, doctoral and master’s degree supervision as well as pedagogical background of another kind. Quality and width will be considered.
NTNU is obliged by the evaluation criteria for research quality in accordance with The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we will pay particular attention to the quality and academic range demonstrated by your scientific work to date. We will also pay attention to research leadership and participation in research projects. Your scientific work from the last five years will be given the most weight.
Your application will be reviewed by an expert committee. Relevant candidates will be invited to trial teaching and interviews.
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English or Norwegian.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Magne Arve Flaten, e-mail [email protected] If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact Terese Brå, e-mail [email protected]
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact [email protected]
The application and all attachments are sent electronically via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts. Please refer to the application number SU-728 when applying.
Application deadline: 15.08.2022
NTNU – knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Psychology
Our research and teaching are based on five perspectives: biological, cognitive, social, personality and developmental psychology. We offer a clinical program in psychology as well as study programs in the psychology of learning and in work and organizational psychology. We also have three outpatient clinics in which we treat patients as part of the clinical program. The Department of Psychology is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences.
Deadline 15th August 2022
Employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Scope Full time
Place of service Dragvoll